PEEC is one of the most respected and recognized residential environmental education centers in the northeastern United States. PEEC is a private 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and is the education partner of the National Park Service in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. This unique public/private partnership has served the education community for over forty years. Approximately 24,000 people visit PEEC annually.
PEEC advances environmental education, sustainable living, and appreciation for nature through hands-on experience in a national park.
- located on the Pocono Plateau in northeastern Pennsylvania.
- situated within the boundaries of a 77,000 acre National Park, the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.
- twenty miles southwest of the tri-state junction of New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania (See map).
- accessible by car, train, or bus and is approximately a 2-hour drive from the major metropolitan centers of New York City, Philadelphia, Newark, and Trenton.
Environmental Diversity at PEEC
The enjoyment and study of nature and natural systems is a focal point at PEEC. Our proximity to 200,000 acres of public lands, including the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (DWGNRA), numerous state parks, forests, and game lands offers a world of opportunities for our guests to explore, such as:
- shady hemlock gorges
- the scenic Delaware River
- diverse lowland and upland forests, fields, ponds, streams, & waterfalls
- the unique flora and fauna found in boreal bogs
- a quarry containing 400 million year-old fossils
Read about the history of PEEC in an excerpt from:
"It Began 25 years ago..." PEEC Seasons, Vernal Equinox, 1997.
PEEC Staff Manual and Training Guide, 1997
Before it was PEEC...read about one couple's experience at Honeymoon Haven, the rustic resort that once occupied the land that is now PEEC.
PEEC employs ten permanent employees, fifteen to thirty intern/environmental educators, and a varying number of supplemental resource persons to facilitate all programs and daily operations.
Staff members are well-trained professionals available to assist you in planning and delivering a successful program.